Delaware County Republican Central Committee Minutes
April 11, 2011, at Days Inn, Manchester, IA
- Call to order by Jeff Madlom, at 7:05 p.m. at the Days Inn in the Burrington Room, Manchester, Iowa. Agendas were distributed by Jeff M. The Pledge of Allegiance was lead by Jeff M.
- There were 17 members present: Cliff Bunting, Marcel Kielkucki, Charles Ankrom, Phil Turnis, Brad Kimmerle, Carla Becker, Jeffery Madlom, Doug Robbins, Marsha Mescher, Don Piegors, Michele DeBlieck, Gary Reeder, Bruce Nieman, Scot Ungs, Marcia Intorf, Brian Cook, Shirley Helmrichs.
- The Secretary minutes were distributed. Motion to approve was made by Marcel K and seconded by Charles A. Motion passed.
- There was no Treasurer’s report. Deb Peyton sent message that 1 check was written and we received a little interest. She will have a full report next month.
- Announcements: none
- Legislative Report: There was discussion on state redistricting—there are negatives and positives. Governor is reviewing it. It is likely a “go.”
- Candidates’ Spotlight: none
- Correspondence Report: A Tea Party flyer was sent around to the members. A Trump Flyer was also sent around the room.
- Old Business:
- Standing Committees
- Finance/Fundraising Committee: Don Piegors, Chair. There was discussion for an event at Don Piegors’ as a public relations event. Don passed an invite around the room. He would like to have the event June 5th, from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. for Century Club member. Would like to invite Steve Luken.
- Organization: Shirley Helmrichs, Alan Mead Co-Chairs, no report.
- Communications and Public Relations: Marcel K, Chair
- Had planned to have a speaker, the regional director from Strong America Now, which is an Interest Group did not show.
- Contacted the Manchester Press who told Marcel that any political report in the paper must be a paid ad. Marcel asked if anyone saw an ad in any paper to let him know.
- Rick is redoing our website: it is down for now. He plans to put in on Google, which is a free site and will allow for automatic posts with You Tube, Facebook and Twitter.
- Henceforth Information Technologies will be a subcommittee under Communications.
- Candidates and Campaign Assistance: No report
- Ad Hoc Committees
- Informational Technologies: Rick Seeley, Chair. See above in Communications section.
- Scholarship Committee: Gary Reeder, Chair
- Kevin has a point system and a grid to evaluate applicants.
- There was discussion on who will be on the selection committee. Gary R has the 13 applications.
- Scholarship award is needed by May 4.
- Governor’s Forum Committee: Marcel Kielkucki, Chair. This is being removed as a committee.
- Parades and County Fair: Terry Griffith, Chair. Discussion: Terry was absent. No report.
- Movie in the Park: Dan Gilbert—no report since Terry was absent.
- New Business—
- Discussion: Delaware County, Iowa is loosing a house and a senate incumbent, which creates a vacancy in Delaware County. Iowa is losing a house seat at the Federal level.
B. Candidates speaking to Central Committee
- Marcel requested ground rules for length of time for guests to speak, etc. Marcel moved that candidates be given 10 minutes to speak with a 5 minute Q/A session. Representatives for a candidate to be given 5 minutes to speak with a 5 minutes Q/A session. This was seconded by Brian C. There was discussion and the motion was passed.
C. Straw Pole discussion
- Discussion on who pays when a candidate comes to our area. Candidates pay for bus and usually offer refreshments.
- GOP Lincoln Day Tickets June 10th. Cut off date is May 1. Cliff B reported that in the past The Central Committee purchased a table for 10 at a cost of $750 and the attending members pay for ½ of their seat, at a cost of $37.50. Phil T moved that we reserve a table if sufficient interest. Each attending members will pay for ½ of the cost. Motion was seconded by Marcel K. Motion carried. Members are to contact Jeff M if interested. It will be on a first come, first served basis.
- Future Programs: Would like to contact Steve Lukan for May or June, possibly for June 13th.
- Additional Comments: Cliff mentioned that a conversation with VanderPlatz and that he has and is looking for support. Media is playing him as a 1 issue person.
- Next meeting: May 9, 2011
- Adjournment: Motion made by Charles A, seconded by Brad K to adjourn meeting. Motion passed and the meeting was adjourned at 7:46 p.m.
Respectively submitted by Michele DeBlieck